For decades the attorneys at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. have practiced in the appellate courts, and have handled appeals of many types of cases. We are experienced appellate lawyers, who are successful in presenting briefs and oral argument to the appellate courts. Our attorneys work with the client to make sure the appeal addresses the important issues in a case.
Our attorneys handle appeals including:
- Business law
- Health law
- Family law
- Criminal law
- Estate and Probate law
- Oil & Gas law
- Employment law
Our attorneys are licensed to practice before the following appellate courts:
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Courts of Appeal for the 5th Circuit and 11th Circuit
- Supreme Court of Texas
- Texas Courts of Appeal
Many of our clients have personal legal matters that need attention as well. We represent clients in appeals, as needed.
Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. has experienced attorneys who have handled a wide variety of arbitration matters resulting in millions of dollars in awards. We represent clients on both sides of the docket before arbitration panels and single arbitrators. Whether related to business or personal matters, arbitration is a way to resolve disputes by a final ruling, which can be beneficial to all parties.
Our attorneys also act as neutral arbitrators. We serve to resolve the dispute in a manner that is fair and just for the parties. Even cases that are pending in court can use arbitration to address pre-trial issues in an expeditious manner. Any of the following matters can be arbitrated:
- Business disputes
- Personal and family disputes
- Pre-trial motions and/or discovery issues
- Trial matters
- Post-judgment matters
Many of our clients have personal legal matters that need attention as well. We represent clients in formal arbitration matters, as needed. Our attorneys offer convenient office hours, flexible appointment times and reasonable fees.
Business Litigation and Trial
Our attorneys have decades of collective litigation experience. We handle cases of all types on both sides of the docket. Our litigation experience includes business and commercial matters, health care, probate, family law, employment, civil and criminal matters, real estate and construction, and general legal matters of various types. We manage and supervise litigation and outside counsel in multiple jurisdictions for corporations and businesses. Our attorneys have served as litigation and trial consultants and strategic advisors in major business and commercial litigation and trials. Our attorneys are experienced in both state and federal courts. We also practice before arbitrators and arbitration tribunals in multiple forums.
We represent our clients zealously and handle each case in the manner that is in our client's best interest. We work closely with our client, keeping the client informed and making decisions together. We attempt to negotiate settlements where appropriate, take advantage of available alternative dispute resolution processes such as mediation and arbitration, and we take cases to trial when necessary.
Our attorneys have been involved in countless matters that have resulted in significantly advantageous results for our clients. Our attorneys have:
- participated as counsel in billion-dollar commercial litigation involving the energy industry
- served as trial consultant in business litigation resulting in a mid-nine-figure jury verdict after several months of trial
- participated as counsel in business litigation resulting in a high-eight-figure jury verdict
- served as trial counsel in a seven-figure jury verdict
- served as lead counsel in family law and divorce matters involving eight-figure marital estates
- served as lead counsel in litigation, arbitrations and trials resulting in seven-figure settlements, awards, and judgments
- served as lead counsel in successful petition for certiorari to the Supreme Court of the United States resulting in vacating a Texas state court judgment
- served as lead counsel in multi-million dollar lender liability suits, successfully defending clients being sued by lenders and financial institutions
- served as lead counsel in criminal matters (including white-collar crime and health care fraud) in state and federal courts resulting in acquittals, reversals on appeal (including the successful reversal of a death-penalty case), and dismissal prior to grand jury indictment
Business & Professional
The attorneys at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. are experienced in business and professional matters and in providing advice for structuring businesses, partnerships, corporations and LLC's.
For decades our practice has involved business law and the business operations of our clients. Our attorneys are experienced business litigators and negotiators. We represent many small and mid-sized businesses and mostly family-run businesses. Our practice areas include:
- Incorporation of new businesses
- Limited Liability Companies
- Professional organizations
- Buying and selling businesses (and assets)
- Forming and dissolving business relationships
- Setting up new businesses
- Re-structuring existing businesses
Our attorneys represent professionals in many occupations and help them organize and structure their practices, including:
- Other professional practices
- Forming and dissolving professional practices
Our attorneys are experienced litigators who appear in court for business clients to enforce contracts, resolve disputes and protect our client's rights. We also represent clients in arbitration proceedings, mediations, and settlement negotiations.
We have an extensive practice representing physicians before the Texas Medical Board including matters such as:
- Texas Medical Board complaint responses
- SOAH proceedings
- ISC informal settlement conferences
- Negotiations and litigation
Many of our clients have personal legal matters that need attention as well. We represent clients in both personal and business matters, as needed.
The attorneys at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. represent clients in the construction business at all levels -- contractors, sub-contractors and owners. We help guide businesses through project and job site issues, as well as dealing with contractors, vendors and insurance companies. Our legal services include:
- Negotiating contracts
- Review and revision of contract documents
- Enforcement of contracts
- Litigation disputes on projects
- Mechanics & Materialmen's liens
- Bond Claims
We are involved in the creation of new businesses and represent small, mid-sized and family construction businesses. We consult with our clients on the business aspects of their company, as well as the issues on construction project sites.
Our attorneys are experienced in arbitration and/or court litigation to help our clients obtain their rightful benefits from construction projects, and to resolve disputes over contracts. Often we help clients to structure their business and develop forms and/or contracts that can be used for future projects.
Many construction disputes can be resolved with active communications and negotiations. Sometimes mediation with a third party neutral is the proper procedure, and can be quite successful. Our attorneys are experienced in these areas, which helps guide the client to the most effective and cost-efficient method of dispute resolution.
From the moment you or a loved one is arrested, you feel like you have lost control and are faced with serious consequences. It is important to hire an attorney immediately to ensure that all your rights are protected. For decades, the attorneys at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. have come to the aid of those faced with criminal accusations. Our attorneys have experience as criminal trial lawyers and negotiators. We represent a diverse and extensive clientele, and seek to achieve the best possible result for all of their criminal matters. Our practice areas include:
- Felony Offenses
- Misdemeanor Offenses
- Driving While Intoxicated
- Drug Offenses
- Theft Offenses - Embezzlement Charges
- Assault Offenses
- Probation Violations
- Juvenile Offenses
Our firm zealously defends our clients to achieve great results which, depending upon the offense, include:
- Dismissal of the Charge
- Probation in Lieu of Jail Time
- Deferred Adjudication
- Back Time and Time Served
Our attorneys understand the impact a criminal offense can have on a person's life, even beyond the criminal courthouse. This is why our attorneys are dedicated to helping our clients in every aspect of their lives, including:
- Expungement of Criminal Charges
- Sealing Records
- Orders of Non-Disclosure of Criminal Offenses
- Occupational Driver's Licenses
- Administrative Driver's License Hearings and Driver's License Reinstatement
- Bond Posting and Jail Release
Our criminal defense attorneys offer convenient office hours, flexible appointment times, and reasonable fees and payment options.
Almost every business and every individual will encounter employment law issues at some point. Whether it is a company taking the appropriate measures in terminating an employee, protecting its confidential information or engaging in litigation against a former employee. Or whether it be a former employee trying to overcome the confines of a restrictive covenant, the everyday challenges for a business or individual dealing with employment issues are constant.
The law firm of Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. has decades of experience in protecting your rights as an employer or as an employee. Every step legally possible will be taken to protect employers from a former employee taking trade secrets or confidential information, or breaching the terms of an employment agreement. Additionally, the firm represents individual employees who are dealing with threatened or actual litigation related to the restrictive covenants in an employment agreement.
Having experience on both sides of these issues allows our attorneys to analyze every issue from every angle, providing the client with the information and strategies to achieve the best outcome possible.
Our firm has the experience to represent business or individuals in employment law matters involving:
- Covenants not to compete
- Trade Secrets and Confidential Information
- Intellectual Property
- Contract negotiations for employment agreements
- Commission disputes
- Wrongful termination
Estate Planning and Probate
The attorneys at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. are experienced in probate matters and in providing estate planning advice and preparing appropriate documents, including:
- Power of Attorney
- Health Care Power of Attorney
- Physician directives
We work with our clients to make sure their estate is planned in the manner that they wish, and that the plan is carried out according to their desires. We represent clients in probate court related to:
- Probate and Administration of Estates
- Heirship proceedings
- Contested estate matters
Our attorneys work with clients and their families to resolve estate disputes and to appear in probate court when required. As experienced litigators, we represent clients in:
- Will contests
- Estate Administration controversies
Many estate and family disputes can be resolved with active communications and negotiations. Sometimes mediation with a third party neutral is the proper procedure, and can be quite successful. Our attorneys are experienced in all of these areas, which helps guide the client to the most effective and cost-efficient method of dispute resolution.
The process of a divorce or custody litigation oftentimes creates a sense of confusion and frustration. There may be complex matrimonial property matters, emotional and difficult issues related to children, or trouble locating the right resources for a specific need.
The law firm of Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. has decades of experience from AV rated lawyers with statewide reputations who zealously represent their clients, both inside and outside the courtroom. Our attorneys provide excellent legal services for family law matters, with efficiency and effectiveness. Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. prides itself on its boutique atmosphere of personal attention, while earning the reputation of formidably fighting to protect the rights of the client. Ingenuity in both stategy and creative solutions are very important in family law matters. At Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P., these techniques are used to give the client peace of mind and comfort during what could be a tumultuous time.
Our firm handles a wide range of family law matters, including:
- Planning for Divorce
- Complex property division
- Valuation of Marital Assets and Debts
- Valuation of Businesses, Stocks, Trusts and Real Estate Rights to Community Property and Separate Property Custody disputes
- Relocation of a Child or Parent
- Multi-State Custody matters
- Paternity Suits
- Enforcement Actions
- Pre-Marital and Post-Marital Property Agreements/Grandparent's Rights
- Mediation and Arbitration
- Cohabitation Agreements
- Collaborative Law
- Rights to Community Property and Separate Property
- Grandparent's Rights
- Other Property Related Matters
- Pre-Marital Agreement
- Post-Marital Property Agreements
- Cohabitation Agreements
Our attorneys will work with you and your schedule.
For 58 years, our founding partner, Lawrence E. Ackels, Sr. (1922 - 2006), conducted the general practice of law, responding personally to the needs of his clients in a wide variety of legal areas. Today, we are proud to continue this tradition by offering personal service to our clients, large and small, in many different areas of law.
Health Care and Managed Care
Many legal challenges may appear as obstacles to physicians, hospitals and health care organizations in the course of their daily operations. Other challenges include employment relations, office leasing, collections and managed care contracting, together with health law issues like investigations by the Texas Medical Board or the Texas Dental Board. These concerns can distract providers from providing medical care to their patients.
The law firm of Ackels & Ackels, LLP has decades of experience from AV rated lawyers that provide excellent legal services in an effort to find solutions to your legal issues quickly and efficiently while limiting physician involvement. This will leave doctors and other care providers free to provide medical care. We provide comprehensive health law services as legal counsel to numerous hospitals, physicians and health care organizations. Common legal services in health care include:
- Managed Care contracting/collections
- Reimbursement disputes against payors
- Investigations by the Texas Medical Board
- Recruitment agreements, employment contracts, non-compete agreements and confidentiality clauses
- Disputes with third-party insurers
- Facility and office lease agreements
- Representation at Board Investigations and Show Cause Proceedings
- Peer review & credentialing issues
Over the past decade, investigations conducted by the Texas Medical Board have increased substantially. These investigations can have serious implications for physicians or providers. At Ackels & Ackels, LLP, our attorneys work directly with doctors in order to comply with written responses, documentary evidence requests, and attendance at hearings and proceedings.
Insurers are in the business of making money which means they can be stingy in paying claims. From homeowners to business liability claims (hurricane, storm damage, builders risk, construction defects), the value of any insurance policy depends on the coverage it provides and the payment of claims. If your insurance company is refusing to pay your claim or denying that you have the coverage you paid for, contact our AV rated lawyers who have decades of experience fighting to collect on insurance claims.
Most insurance policies and other documents related to insurance coverage are designed to be difficult to read and understand. Policyholders believe that one insurance policy is essentially the same as the rest. This is simply not the case. Insurance policies are not 'standard.' Therefore, it is more important to understand your insurance coverage and receive clear answers to questions like:
- Does my policy protect me against the range of adverse events that can occur?
- What are my benefits?
- What are the limits on my policy?
- What types of exclusions are in my policy?
Insurance carriers leave you with three problems:
- Denial or delay of your claim
- Cancellation or rescission before storm damage or another adverse event takes place
- Refusal to defend you in a lawsuit, asserting that you do not have coverage
The law firm of Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. has decades of experience from AV rated lawyers who will protect you from financial ruin when an insurance company does not comply with its obligations in your policy.
The relationship between juveniles and law enforcement requires special care and consideration. Juvenile cases can be burdensome and overwhelming. For decades, the attorneys at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. have focused on protecting juveniles and their families through effective representation and counseling. A juvenile proceeding is part criminal and part civil, and it is important to hire an experienced attorney who knows how the juvenile system works. Our attorneys are experienced trial lawyers with regard to juvenile law, as well as experienced negotiators in juvenile cases. Our practice areas include:
- Felony Offenses
- Misdemeanor Offenses
- Release from Juvenile Detention
- Drug Offenses
- Theft Offenses
- Assault Offenses
- Alcohol Based Offenses, including:
- Driving Under the Influence
- Minor in Consumption (MIC)
- Minor in Possession (MIP)
Dedicated not only to zealous representation, our attorneys are committed to defending the rights of juveniles and encouraging good family relationships. Our attorneys understand that a juvenile record can have negative consequences for a child's future. Therefore, our attorneys offer services to protect and seal juvenile criminal histories, including:
- Expungement of Criminal Charges
- Sealing Records
- Deferred Adjudication of Offenses
Our attorneys offer convenient office hours, flexible appointment times, and reasonable fees and payment options.
Disputes in commercial Landlord/Tenant relations arise whether or not you have a well-written lease. In Texas, both lessees and lessors have rights and responsibilities. Before entering a lease contract, it is important to understand those rights and responsibilities and to verify that the contract addresses them. An attorney review of a contract or participation in the drafting of a lease contract can prevent costly lawsuits and save significant time and expense.
The law firm of Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. has lawyers with decades of experience in commercial and residential Landlord Tenant disputes. These include:
- Contract drafting and interpretation
- Negotiation of lease terms
- Breach of lease agreements and early termination eviction proceedings
- Wrongful eviction and collection of past-due or overdue rent
- Property use disputes
- Lease termination disputes
- Wrongful evictions/unlawful detainers
- Foreclosure evictions and defense
In many instances, an amicable agreement can be reached through negotiations between parties and/or counsel. However, if a satisfactory solution between landlords and tenants cannot be reached, litigation may be necessary.
The lawyers at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. are experienced inside and outside of the courtroom. Our attorneys are involved in drafting, reviewing and negotiating the terms of a lease agreement and fighting to protect client rights in a lawsuit.
When creditors refuse to work out loan issues, business debtors need to be aware that they have rights and options available to them.
The law firm of Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. has decades of experience from AV rated lawyers who stand up to creditors and banks, and explore options that can protect clients against collection actions or deficiency judgments and hold lenders accountable for their conduct.
The law establishes what can and cannot be done when attempting to collect on a debt. However, creditors frequently take steps that violate the rights of business debtors. This action could result in elimination of some debt and/or compensation being provided to the business debtor.
Additionally, a variety of defenses can be used to fight lawsuits brought by lenders against debtors. Our attorneys are experienced in handling Lender Liability Cases.
Our firm has the experience to represent businesses and individuals in lender liability cases involving:
- Wrongful Foreclosure
- Wrongful Garnishment
- Improper seizures and repossessions
- Usury claims for illegal interest charges
- Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violations
- Over aggressive lender tactics
- Bad faith lending practices
The attorneys at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. have served as local litigation counsel in both state and federal courts for out-of-state companies, individuals and law firms who need representation in the Dallas area. Our firm offers integral knowledge of local court rules and customs, cordial familiarity with the courthouse milieu, and a strong reputation with the local bench and bar. We have assisted major companies and their attorneys, both in the United States and Canada, in handling disputes to a successful conclusion. Our attorneys are flexible and capable of handling as much or as little of the litigation as the client requires, whether providing background information about opposing counsel and parties, or actually handling the nuts-and-bolts of the lawsuit. We are familiar with handling the types of issues that regularly arise when an out-of-state party is sued in Texas, including removal and remand of actions in federal court, jurisdictional issues, special appearances, service of process, motions to dismiss and transfer, venue issues, and pro hac vice matters.
Mediation is one form of alternative dispute resolution involving a private, confidential and informal settlement conference where the parties come together with a mediator (an impartial third party) to try and resolve their dispute out-of-court. Our attorneys have successfully participated in hundreds of mediations, as both advocates for our clients and as mediators. As advocates for our clients, our attorneys at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. are dedicated to resolving cases in the client's best interest. In every case, we consider mediation and its possible consequences. We carefully consider whether mediation is appropriate and, if so, when to schedule it. We maintain an excellent reputation in the mediation community, enabling us to represent our client''s interest effectively in all areas of dispute resolution, including the timely and judicious selection of the most appropriate mediator for each case.Two of our attorneys, including our founding attorney, Lawrence E. Ackels, Sr. (1922-2006), were Dallas pioneers in working with Steve Brutsché in establishing mediation as the preferred type of alternative dispute resolution and, in 1989, were charter members of the prestigious Association of Attorney-Mediators. Our attorneys are experienced mediators and conduct regularly scheduled mediations in almost every area of law. We work tirelessly with the parties and their counsel to reach an amicable resolution in each case.
Oil and Gas Law
In Texas, many oil companies, as well as individuals, have a need for an attorney with knowledge of the oil and gas industry.
The law firm of Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. has decades of experience in protecting your rights in an audit or in reviewing a lease. These rights can be lost at contract time and it is important to make sure your rights are protected before signing any documents.
Our firm has the experience to represent operators, businesses or individuals in oil and gas matters involving:
- Operator accounting issues related to payments on leases
- Operator auditing issues related to payments on leases
- Review of oil and gas leases
- Litigation related to oil and gas leases
Our oil and gas attorneys offer convenient office hours, flexible appointment times and reasonable fees.
Outside General Litigation Counsel
The attorneys at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. manage and supervise litigation as outside counsel in multiple jurisdictions for corporations and businesses. Our attorneys have:
- Coordinated the selection of local counsel (knowledgeable about the company's business) through a network of local counsel that has been carefully developed over the years in the communities in which the company does business
- Provided oversight of local counsel and company's insurer(s) to help ensure both the quality and cost-effectiveness of the services rendered
- Coordinated legal matters through responsible company management and/or insurers to provide the company with continuity and awareness of all pending issues
- Been involved in pre-trial discovery and litigation matters to protect the company's interest and vital information; to interface with company employees and personnel in connection with litigation matters; and to anticipate and identify potential 'delicate' situations involving the company
- Worked closely with the company's insurers to keep costs down, to anticipate and identify potential problem-claims, and to resolve claims timely and on a cost-effective basis
- Responded immediately to corporate management in connection with all pending matters instead of having management try to contact numerous law firms in several states to obtain information about pending matters
- Maintained excellent personal relationships with company personnel, insurers, legal counsel and all persons associated with the litigation or potential litigation of company claims
- Handled consumer-related claims by working in conjunction with the company's customer services department with the aim of timely and cost-effective resolution
The attorneys at Ackels Ackels, L.L.P. are experienced in real estate matters and in providing advice for clients involved in real estate deals (whether buyer, seller or third party).
Our attorneys are experienced in matters pertaining to real estate and related assets. We consult and represent clients regarding many aspects of real property, including:
- Title issues
- Deeds and conveyances
- Loans and loan documents
- Construction issues
Our attorneys are experienced litigators regarding real estate issues, and represent our clients in court, arbitration or settlement negotiations. We work with our clients to accomplish the best result, and help clients through difficult proceedings, such as:
- Landlord/Tenant disputes
- Lender issues
- Work outs
For decades, our attorneys have been involved in litigation related to lender liability issues, fighting foreclosures on behalf of clients, defending bad faith lending practices, and helping to save client's businesses from defaulting real estate loans.
Because of our familiarity with the settlement process from all points of view, the attorneys at Ackels & Ackels, L.L.P. have served as settlement counsel in business litigation matters resulting in millions of dollars in awards. As settlement counsel, we can explore the client's settlement options with the opposing counsel/party and/or the mediator, while separate trial counsel continues to prepare for trial which allows vigorous prosecution of the client's case without distraction. This allows for the matter to proceed simultaneously on two tracks, 'the settlement track and the litigation track' without one interfering with the other. Our participation as settlement counsel has resulted in successful outcomes for our clients and is a valuable tool in the arsenal of alternative dispute resolution.